Saturday, January 12, 2008

Orlando Florida- soccer graveyard

If the tampa was the market that got away from soccer, Orlando must been as the one that never was. Despite playing host to numerous international matches, minor league pro sides since the 94 world cup-- local media has failed to follow the plot.

But with a dirth of coverage elsewhere in the market, soccer maintains one sole advocate: Orlando Sentinel writer Brant Parsons.

As the Sentinel's resident "soccer guy", Parsons regularly endures the ridicule of his fellow sports writers. But as the author of the Other Football, an Orlando based blog with over 1.2 million annual visitors, Parsons represents a leading voice of the local game. Read on to learn his thoughts on subjects ranging from Miami's bid for MLS and why Orlando will never play host to top flight soccer to media's flagging bias against soccer.

1. Talk about your background in sports and how you got your start covering soccer?

I have always been a sports fan for as long as I can remember. At no point growing up however did I ever think I could get a job where following it is part of my career.

In college, I interned at a radio station where I was eventually hired. Within six months I was part of a sports talk show and became producer of it not too many months later. I produced the show for about a year and then went on to host two different shows over the next two years.
More recently I took over the position as a back-up sports anchor in our news department. Through all of that, I met the, now AME, sports editor for the Sentinel and began stringing high school sports.

After shining there, I was hired on as a clerk for a year - I was then hired to produce the sports page for our website. Once I came aboard, I was approached to start writing on the soccer blog after covering the world cup for the print edition (from home, not Germany)

Last June the blog became mine permanently, and I turned it from a 12,000 page view a month blog to the top performing page on our website.

The strong numbers (over 1.2 million last year) encouraged them to give me a weekly column in the print edition that ran on Sundays through the end of the year.

I'm just a soccer fan at a paper that didn't have many - and I've made the sport known at least because of my top numbers. I know long answer - little substance.

2. Did you cover the Mutiny for television/print? If so, talk about your experiences covering the team and the atmosphere at games or lack thereof?

I never did. I'll admit, I've been late coming to MLS. My introduction began in English soccer, spread across Europe and very recently was turned toward MLS.

3. How do you feel soccer coverage is regarded by local media versus the other major sports?

I think local media doesn't get it. My column was dropped this past week due to financial reasons (I wrote it as a freelancer). The powers that be still don't understand why my blog can be so popular, but there is still a giant reluctance to embrace the sport.

Ignorance still persists within the sports department about the sport and I don't know if I go a day without getting a ribbing for it. Readers of the print edition are lucky to get a paragraph or even the scores in agate type each week.

4. In your opinion, why did the Mutiny fail to capture crowds in the same manner as the Tampa Bay Rowdies?

With a limited understand of each - I'd have to look at MLS not giving the sport a chance in the state - and the structure of the league at first was tough for some to get involved in it. I can talk about the failure of the Fusion if you'd like.

5. In the wake of the Mutiny's demise, several lower level pro teams have sprung up around the area. Most recently the Orlando Sharks of the MISL (Major Indoor Soccer League) debuted for 2007 in Orlando. Has this team been able to generate any buzz in the media?

No, and I blame it on the organization. I tried, and my former partner, to rally behind the new MISL team but the club has made it harder for me to do it. I wanted to write a big piece after the season opener but couldn't get anyone from the team to cooperate with me.

Plus, I don't think they are marketing to the people that would go to a MISL game. But no, no buzz whatsover for the Sharks and it doesn't help that they haven't won a match yet.

6. In your experience, talk a bit about the fan base in central Florida specifically versus Miami or other parts of the country?

Major League Soccer's not going to come to Orlando - ever.

It's just a reality. We're the community college of sports towns, better known for Disney than DiMaggio and to be honest - Orlando is not even on MLS's map.

And neither is Tampa at this point. Been there, done that. Tampa is a great town, and a strong soccer town - they'll host Olympic qualifying there in March - but the Tampa market isn't one that makes MLS executives drool. You know which one does?

Miami. And the city that I have called home is taking steps to try and help Major League Soccer with their choice for the next franchise.

If the bill passes and a soccer-only stadium is built where the Orange Bowl now stands - MLS will give Miami a franchise. They have to.

The Fusion were never given a chance. They were placed at Lockhart Stadium - a long journey for those in the heart of Miami and south of downtown - the folks that MLS wants to get to fall in love with MLS.

There are plenty of soccer lovers in Miami. It's part of the culture there - last time MLS ignored Miami and put a franchise in Ft. Lauderdale- this time, they'll get it right.

A franchise in Miami makes sense - and will become my team the moment they are announced. And for folks in Orlando - Miami is as close as MLS will ever come - and a four-hour drive is much more palpable than a trip to Houston.


6. What steps do you feel pro soccer must take to attract media and public attention?

Quality play. Beckham got the attention in the mainstream - but it's a sideshow more than anything. There are a lot of soccer fans in this country - they just want a good product to follow.

Plus, MLS needs to drop some of the American tendencies of the league. 8 of 13 teams making a playoffs is just terrible. Conferences and unbalanced schedules also mimics American sports more than the big leagues across the world.

As far as media - if you build it, they will come. Put a product out there that sells out stadiums and creates a buzz - and the media will cover it. In this day and age- media doesn't have the resources to go after marginally supported sports. It's just a sad reality.

7. In the wake of the mutiny's demise, do you feel Tampa/Orlando/central Florida could support an MLS side?

No. Not in the way that MLS needs. They need a soccer only stadium (none in Central Florida) and a fan base salivating at the chance to back a team. Neither of that is here. This is not a good sports town and that doesn't look like it will change anytime soon.

8. Recently Miami has been making noise about possibly developing a soccer stadium with the Dolphins. How do you feel a Miami team would impact the chances of MLS coming to Central Florida?

As I wrote earlier, I don't think Central Florida is on MLS's map. They have other markets they want to get into and Miami is one of those. If MLS returns to the state of Florida it will do it in one place and one place only and that is in Miami.

9. As a soccer fan, would you favor the return of the Mutiny, Rowdies or another name? and Why?

I'd favor any professional soccer coming to the area. Even a USL-1 or USL-2 team in Orlando or Tampa would be exciting for the fans of the sport that are here. Only then will the area get to show that there is a buzz for the sport here.

No comments: